Chennai (Tamil Nadu) [India], May 21 (ANI): Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) spokesperson TKS Elangovan on Thursday reacted to the ongoing “Vande Mataram” controversy, alleging that the Tamil Nadu government was acting under pressure from the Governor.

Speaking to ANI here, Elangovan said, “They (Tamil Nadu government) have no control. They are under pressure from the Governor, who is a BJP man. They will disrespect Tamil and the practices in Tamil Nadu.”

The remarks come over the rendition of the national song Vande Mataram resurfaced in Tamil Nadu on Thursday after it was given precedence over the state song during the swearing-in ceremony, where 23 new ministers took oath in Chief Minister Vijay’s cabinet.

Earlier in the day, Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) General Secretary Vaiko strongly opposed the inclusion of “Vande Mataram” in Tamil Nadu government functions and reiterated his opposition to the PM SHRI scheme.

Vaiko had said, “During events organised by the Governor, ‘Vande Mataram’ is being repeatedly brought in and imposed everywhere. We have already stated that in any event organised by the Tamil Nadu government, no place should be given to ‘Vande Mataram.'”

He further insisted that “Tamil Thai Vazhthu” should be sung first at state government events, followed by the national anthem “Jana Gana Mana.”

The MDMK leader also urged the state government not to allow the song at official functions, warning against what he described as external pressure influencing state decisions.

Earlier in the day, Satheesan also spoke on the row following the recitation of the full version of ‘Vande Mataram’ during the oath-taking ceremony of the new UDF cabinet.

“We did not know that Vande Mataram would be rendered in full. The instructions came from Lok Bhavan. We realised it only when it began being sung in its entirety while we were standing there. It was not possible to interrupt it midway. Usually, only the national anthem is sung by the end of the event. Now this too is included. We had no prior information,” the Keralam chief minister said while addressing reporters in Thiruvananthapuram yesterday.

In a statement on May 19, the CPI(M) had said that the rendering of the full version of Vande Mataram during the Kerala Cabinet swearing-in ceremony was “a wrong and inappropriate step.”

“It was the Congress Working Committee itself that took the position that rendering all portions of Vande Mataram was not suitable for a plural society. The portions were removed as part of the official resolution adopted by the Congress Working Committee on October 30, 1937. The portions that had been excluded in this manner were also rendered during the swearing-in ceremony,” it said. (ANI)