Tehran [Iran], August 23 (ANI): Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian lauded the resilience and power of the Iranian people in the wake of continued conflict with the United States, highlighting that while an outcome like Venezuela was expected, Iran stood brave in the face of aggression.

His remarks were shared by Iranian state broadcaster Press TV on Sunday as Pezeshkian delivered a speech marking the beginning of Government Week.

The Iranian president said, “They (US) sought to turn Iran into another Venezuela, but instead, Iran emerged as a power that amazed the world with its resistance, solidarity and unity. Our people achieved something remarkable.”

He urged solidarity and said, “In the face of the enemy’s all-out economic war, we must stand together, just as we did during the US-Israeli war, supporting and helping one another.”

According to Press TV, Pezeshkian called for following the path shown by the leadership and urged solidarity and unity.

“If we act wisely, no power can force us into surrender or leave us helpless. But this requires unity, solidarity, and empathy, as well as following our Leader and pursuing the path we must take,” he said.

His remarks come in the wake of continued hostilities in West Asia.

Meanwhile, tensions between Washington and Tehran escalated further on Sunday after US President Donald Trump again shared an image that depicts the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz as “NEW US Territory”, even as Iran reiterated that the crucial maritime corridor will remain closed unless the United States alters its stance.

The latest post on Truth Social follows Trump’s earlier sharing of the identical graphic on August 18, after he previously floated the prospect of claiming jurisdiction over the waterway.

Addressing a police academy gathering on Long Island on August 14, Trump had stated, “Pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States”.

Rejecting Washington’s territorial assertions, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council secretary Mohsen Rezaei launched a sharp critique against the US president’s statements regarding the narrow channel.

“The gap between America’s inability to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and its claim to own it is greater than the 7,000-mile distance between Washington and the Strait itself,” Rezaei said, adding, “Welcome to the post-American order in the Persian Gulf.”

The rhetoric comes as the United States prepares to roll out additional economic measures targeting Tehran, deepening the financial standoff between both nations.

Iran condemned the forthcoming punitive steps, warning that the measures risk further damaging its economy and impacting key trade partners, particularly China, which remains a principal importer of Iranian crude. (ANI)