
Washington [US], August 23 (ANI): More than two decades after ‘National Treasure’ first hit screens, a third film in the Nicolas Cage-led adventure franchise is officially in development, director Jon Turteltaub has confirmed.
Turteltaub, who directed the 2004 original and its 2007 sequel, ‘National Treasure: Book of Secrets’ has confirmed the news, as per E! News.
“I was thinking about mentioning this tonight; I’ll say it tonight,” Turteltaub revealed, adding, “It’s happening. You’re the first people I have said this out loud to,” as quoted by E! News.
The director then declared, “It’s finally real.”
Turteltaub also revealed that a script for the third instalment has been written and approved by both him and Disney. According to the director, the studio said the script “sounds like a movie we can make.”
However, he stressed that the project remains subject to the uncertainties of Hollywood.
“Now, it’s ‘Hollywood real,’ meaning things can happen,” he explained, adding, “Nic gets hit by a bus, there’s no National Treasure. If I get hit by a bus, there’s probably a National Treasure. Welcome to Hollywood, that’s Hollywood,” as quoted by E! News.
Producer Jerry Bruckheimer is also on board, with the National Treasure Hunt podcast noting on Instagram that he has given the ‘National Treasure 3’ script his “blessing.”
The franchise began with Cage playing historian and treasure hunter Benjamin Gates, who teams up with Dr Abigail Chase, played by Diane Kruger, and Riley Poole, played by Justin Bartha.
The trio sets out to steal the Declaration of Independence in a quest to uncover a lost Freemason treasure. Jon Voight and Harvey Keitel also appeared in the films.
The original cast returned for ‘National Treasure: Book of Secrets’, which was released in 2007. A potential third film has remained in development limbo for years, but the latest confirmation marks a significant step forward for the franchise.
Fans were last taken back into the ‘National Treasure’ universe with the 2022 Disney+ series ‘National Treasure: Edge of History’. The short-lived series featured appearances from Bartha and Keitel and referenced the mystery surrounding page 47 of the Book of Secrets, a cliffhanger introduced in the second film.
Bruckheimer had previously offered a positive update in 2022, saying the team was developing another National Treasure project for theatres with Cage.
“We said we’d like to make another National Treasure and they said, ‘Sure, let’s come up with a new cast,'” Bruckheimer told E! News at the time, adding, “At the same time, we were developing National Treasure for the theatres with Nicolas Cage- which we still are. So, that’s ongoing.”
With Turteltaub now confirming that the script has been written and approved, ‘National Treasure 3’ has moved closer to becoming a reality, with Nicolas Cage set to return as Benjamin Gates. (ANI)


