
Muzaffarabad [PoJK], August 18 (ANI): The Human Rights Council of Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK) has called for the immediate restoration of internet services in the region, saying the prolonged shutdown has severely affected fundamental rights and caused difficulties for students, freelancers, businesses and Kashmiris living overseas.
In a post on social media, the Human Rights Council PoJK said the continued internet disruption has adversely affected freedom of expression, access to information and communication.
According to the Council, students, freelancers and business people are facing serious difficulties and financial losses because of the lack of reliable internet connectivity. Kashmiris living abroad have also reportedly faced problems maintaining communication with their families and communities.
The Council stressed that digital access can no longer be considered merely a convenience, arguing that internet connectivity has become an essential means of employment, education, communication and the exercise and protection of fundamental human rights.
It therefore demanded that internet services across PoJK be fully restored without further delay.
In a separate post, the Human Rights Council PoJK also raised concerns over the handling of an alleged student suicide at a private educational institution in a suburban area of Muzaffarabad in August 2023.
According to the Council, it received a complaint concerning the death of the student, following which the Education Department constituted an investigative committee to examine the circumstances surrounding the incident.
However, the Council alleged that even after more than a year, the findings of the committee had not been made public and there had been no clear disclosure regarding the measures taken to establish responsibility or prevent similar incidents in educational institutions.
The Human Rights Council called on the Education Department to make the investigative committee’s report, key findings, relevant facts and actions taken so far publicly available, while ensuring that the privacy and dignity of the deceased student and their family are protected.
The Council further said that if the investigation remains incomplete, the Education Department should explain the reasons for the delay and provide a clear timeline for the release of the report.
According to the Council, the death of a student cannot be treated merely as an administrative matter, and it called for a transparent and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.
It further emphasised that ensuring accountability and providing a safe environment in educational institutions is a responsibility of the state. (ANI)


